Thursday, May 31, 2012

Review: Duplicity by Nikki Jefford

Title: Duplicity (Spellbound #2)
Author: Nikki Jefford
Age Group: Young Adult
Category:  Paranormal Romance
Release date: May 20th, 2012
Pages: 280 (ebook)
Rating: 5 out of 5
Source: Author
Goodreads | Amazon | Author

If Graylee Perez thought sharing a body with her twin sister was bad, dealing with a duplicate of herself is two times worse. Gray the second doesn’t seem to get that Lee’s boyfriend, Raj McKenna, is off limits. Then there’s the problem of Adrian Montez. He expects one of the Grays to be his. 


 Nearly a year later, the council is onto them for past misdeeds; Lee, along with the rest of the coven, has lost control of her powers; and Gray is being stalked by what looks like the Grim Reaper. 


 If they work together, they may stand a chance of setting things right and making it out alive.

When I first started Duplicity, I thought that there was no way I'd love the book as much as the first in the series, Entangled.  Of course, the more I read of Duplicity, the more I started to fall for these characters all over again.  Nikki Jefford knows how to keep her readers hooked until the very end and this book is no exception.

As the story begins, we're shown this new life of Graylee's.  New body, no Charlene, hardly any complications as one may believe.  She still has her powers, but unfortunately they start to go haywire like all the rest of the witches in town.  With the help of an amulet from Raj's mother, they're able to control Graylee's involuntary disappearances until they get to the bottom of things.  Just when things couldn't get any more confusing, a duplicate of Graylee shows up in Charlene's body.

It took me a while to grasp what was going on.  Here was Lee (the "real" Graylee) in Stacey's body and Gray (the "duplicate") in Charlene's.  There were points where I favored one over the other even though they were technically the same person.  As for the other characters, I found it easy to push Raj to the side.  In the first book, he was my favorite.  Now he's sort of lost his unique touch and become loyal boyfriend to Lee.  Don't get me wrong, a loyal boyfriend is far from a bad thing, but I didn't feel as emotionally attached to his character this time.

Lee and Gray have their share of complications throughout the story too, especially when it comes to Raj and his conflicting feelings; yet when it comes down to it, they're willing to do whatever it takes to save each other.  Like the first book, this story will leave you satisfied, but wanting more.  Duplicity has easily earned a spot on my favorites list, right next to its sister, Entangled.

2 comments:

  1. Had to skim this review - haven't read Entangled yet but I've just added it to my wishlist!

    ComaCalm's Corner =^.^=

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the cover, have not read Entangled but they sound interesting ~ I'll have to check into them.

    ReplyDelete