Monday, January 28, 2013

Review: And By The Way... by Denise Deegan

Title: And By The Way...
Author: Denise Deegan
Publisher: Hachette Books Ireland
Age Group: Young Adult
Category: Contemporary, Romance
Release date: February 1st, 2011
Pages: 324 (Paperback)
Rating: 4 out of 5
Source: Publisher
Goodreads | Book Depository | Author

At Strandbrook College, we are Kids Of. Kids of diplomats, media stars, musicians, artists, actors, oh, and wealthy people who aspire to all of that. I'm the kid of a rock star. Means nothing to me. 

When Mum died, six months ago, I didn't just lose her, I lost my dad - to work. The only thing he does now is annoy me. He hires people like 'The Stylist' who wears bullets in her belt and makes him look like a hobo. Seriously. 

But 'The Rockstar' isn't the only person who drives me mad. There's David McFadden, a guy in my class who could have helped but didn't. Now, it's too late. I don't want his help. Because I'm not going to trust anyone, love anyone, rely on anyone. That way I'll never be hurt again. 

If only I could solve the problem of Rachel, my best friend, who won't let me pull back just like that. Even David McFadden won't stay out of my face. But I'm not going to fall for his blue eyes, his windswept hair or the plaited leather on his wrist. 

And when he says he wants to help, I'm sure as hell not going to listen....

Alex is just another sixteen year old living life the best way she knows how.  After the loss of her mother, she has issues connecting with others and she begins to pull away from her best friends, even when she needs them the most.  Her rock star dad is barely around and she feels like she's alone in the world, at least until things start heating up between her and hottie American, David McFadden.  Just when things are building back up, life seems to knock everything down again.  And By The Way is a story about learning how to make the best of every situation.

I connected really well with Alex, seeing as I lost my dad when I was just a year younger than her.  Though we live different lifestyles, I think many people will be able to find bits and pieces of them inside of her.  She's not always true to herself, but when she finds the confidence, you see how bright she can really shine.  That being said, she's not the only character I was fond of.  David is a fun-loving and caring guy, which is easy to see from the beginning, even when you're looking at him through Alex's slightly cynical eyes.  In fact, he lost his mom just before she did, and more than anything, that's what brought them together.

Another thing I loved, besides the story and romance, is that this book is based in Ireland.  I haven't any read stories set there, although I've always been fascinated by the country.  Readers will find this book to be perfectly paced, with just enough fluff to make it a cute contemporary, and just enough emotion to make you feel.  Seeing the characters blossom the way they did, especially Alex, is one of the many enjoyments you will get throughout out the book.

And By The Way is about love, loss and forgiveness.  It will open up your eyes and show you not to take the people you care about for granted.  I would love to see these books published in the United States, and I can only hope to read the next installments in the series.  The author truly knows how to write a contemporary that will remain close to your heart.

*If And By The Way... by Denise Deegan sounds like a book you'd enjoy reading, but you live in the US, the ebook is available on Amazon for just $2.99*

1 comment:

  1. And by the Way is an excellent book for young teenagers. I read it too and was able to chat to my daughter about the story and the issues raised. Denise Deegan manages to catch the "teenager" in all her characters and we loved the local references, since we know the area well. My daughter, at 13, found that aspect of the book really interesting, as she had never read a book set in and describing an area and environment with which she is familiar. An enjoyable read which left us waiting for the next installment!

    Irene (Seward Alaska Fishing)

    ReplyDelete